There are so many small chores you can check off around your house that can make a big difference to your home’s energy efficiency and to the environment. Check out these Takl jobs that can help you conserve energy and water around your home both outside and inside!
- Order a custom job to have a rainwater barrel installed, and use the water for your plants.
- Remove invasive weeds in your yard that drink up precious water resources.
- Use the Build Your Own Job feature to install a compost bin. This will result in less trash to take to the curb, less energy used grinding up food in the disposal, and money saved on buying soil and fertilizer.
- Plant drought-tolerant shrubs and plants when landscaping.
- Mulch, mulch, mulch! This will prevent water from evaporating from the soil and reduce the growth of weeds.
- Organize and clean out your garage so you can park your cars inside to shield them from weather — ice takes energy to thaw and hot cars take a lot of energy to cool down.
- Plant trees on the south side of your house for shade in summer.
- Wrap pipes in winter to insulate them so heat doesn’t escape.
- Replace light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Install a dimmer switch for when you don’t need a full spectrum of lighting.
- Change your air filters regularly to allow for better air flow. More air flow=more efficient. Air filters get clogged with dust, dirt, and dander. Yuck.
- Add ceiling fans to improve the circulation of the air blowing out of the vents. Make sure you switch the direction in the summer to push air down.
- Clean out the lint trap in your dryer to allow for clean air flow.
- Move your extra freezer to the basement (the coolest room in the house).
- Make sure you refrigerator door is level so it always closes and stays shut.
- Replace the weather stripping on your windows every 2–3 years to keep that hard-earned air conditioned or heated air inside.
- Swap out your older appliances with newer more energy-efficient ones. Book a Takl Delivery to have those new appliances brought to your door.
- Replace your thermostat with a programmable one.